Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > J2534 > MaxiFlash Pro > Should i buy the new updates?
Should i buy the new updates?

1731 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: 2021-05-02 14:12:34

•   Level 2   
    (23) points
    s2k
    2020-07-26 17:28:43

Hi I mostly work on old cars dating from 2002 to as new as 2016.  I own the J-box, but have only used it couple times in past 5 years to program ecu. I mainly use the tool on Domestic and Asian cars, very rarely on German.  My updates expired back in Feb 2015.  I ran into issues once or twice scanning a late model 2017.  As mentioned earlier I rarely come across these newer cars working at a used car lot.  Should I buy the update as tool has been outdated for about 5 years?  Are there a lot more features for older cars that I may be missing? Or should I just wait another year?   Will I be gaining more functionality on older cars?

Thanks

Andy

•   Level 9   
    (5837) points
    Ashraf

2020-07-26 21:55:00 (Reply to:s2k)

If you don't use online options than I would wait for one more year and by next year the Ultra version tool will be stay able and you can buy new tool which is Maxisys 919 Ultra...........

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2020-08-13 13:26:16 (Reply to:s2k)

If you work at a used carlot with a lot of old cars you might just want to keep your old Maxi Sys Pro as it  is un updated , because since then the software versions have been Optimized so many times to accommodate adding the newer stuff and to make older software act and look different to placate OE manufacturers from suing them after cease and desist compliance dates , that the older car software probably worked better with less hit or miss functionality in every subsequent earlier version.
    Maybe you could just squeak by with a new  IM508 Plus that actually comes with  an XP400 programmer, and ,that could give you the same key programming capability of an IM608  but with limited coding and  diagnostic ability but no Jbox , but appears to have hot functions for cars you need in your lot and only cost about $400 to update thing  later. Then when your old MS908P finally gives up the ghost, decide whether to get a left over new MS908 Elite with 64 gb that comes with 2 years of updates or the newest platforms that have larger SSD, some intelligent diagnostics, integrated scope etc , but one year update.
      If you start having software , or hardware issue with an older discontinued platform MS908P that is no longer produced, and thinking about buying a Total Care Update , it's best to first call support in your Geographic region with the unit's Serial number and ask if your unit would still be supported in your Country or need to go to China for parts for repairs,  or how you likely you will have a  *situation where you would have to pay $700 deductible to replace entire new  head if the soft glued on battery , or screen of your  old MS908P inside needs to be replaced because the parts supply chain is broke.

•   Level 2   
    (20) points
    2018Chevy

2021-05-02 14:12:34 (Reply to:s2k)

My Theory is simple, I will never buy a tool or update a tool unless it's going to pay for itself.
  Total1 Pages